Saturday, June 14, 2008

wo hen hao!

First order of business, pictures! Follow the following link to see my photo album, I will update it as often as I can.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikesudyk

I spent most of the day venturing onto the small island of GuLangYu that is just off of Xiamen (which is also an island). I went with my Chinese tutor from my work who lives on the island. Having her along was not only good because she spoke Chinese but because she live on the island and she was able to get us into everything for free! As they say pictures speak louder than words so I would just reference you to the pictures to see our adventures. Some highlights were the climb to a giant rock on the island, allowing us to see the entire island and the city of Xiamen , amazing. Another highlight was the number of tours going on around the island. Each group is lead by a person shouting in a mega phone and most of the members wearing matching baseball hats, hilarious! The Chinese tutor (Maggie) was teaching all sorts of new Chinese words as they presented themselves around the island, I think I forgot most of them but it was fun learning new words. After the island we went into Xiamen and had some dinner and ended up just talking at the restaurant for a couple hours. Her English is not the greatest so it took us a while to talk sometimes, but so interesting talking with her and learning more about the Chinese culture. It so funny because she asks me words in English and I am realizing that I really do have an accent and I say words so incorrectly. Apart from the adventure today, the time seems to be flying by. I am continually learning so much and being exposed to so many new things. My host informed me that if I needed a few days off of work that would be fine. He says your body can get overloaded, luckily I have not hit that wall yet. So on another note, I didn't get the memo that it apparently is monsoon season here now. It has rained for like the past week, and not light rain like hurricane type sideways rain. Where does all the water come from? Its nuts. And with the rain comes the umbrellas, everyone has them its so funny. On yet another note, I have been blessed with meeting some really cool people here. There is a family of 8 who started an orphanage here and are doing support raising in the states for a couple years but are here on a visit and we have lunch after church every Sunday. It is so fun, it ends up being a group of about 20 and they are such a blast, they welcomed me just like family. Well it is getting late, I should get to bed. If the link to the pictures is not working someone drop me an email.

1 comment:

David said...

WOW, what a cool adventure... that's really neat about the family that started the orphanage. and that's so cool you all do church together, like a real community with the food and talking afterwards!
hey, that's funny what you said about your english dialect. i wondering if you'll come back with a more proper dialect in a few months, haha. i miss you!!! and F you!