Tuesday, June 24, 2008

where has the time gone?

I am almost halfway through my stay here in Xiamen and it seems like just yesterday that I got here and I was recovering from jet lag. First order of business, I updated my Picasa page, see link below. Sorry for the limited number of pictures, I planned to take my camera with me for one Saturday and take pictures all day but of course I get away from the house and my batteries run out. Having rechargeable batteries, I am not about to spend money on new batteries so this is all you get until later.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikesudyk

Well I am finally feeling settled into my position at work and I am beginning to tackle some projects. I am really noticing the language barrier at work with this new found responsibility and duty. Having spent most of my time before not talking much with my co-workers, I did not discover the fine art of communication through hand signal and broken English+Chinese. I was put on the design of a frame that goes around a decorative piece of glass and was working with the current product designer, and he speaks no English and I speak VERY little Chinese. Having a girl in the office translate we spent about half an hour communicating something that could have been done in 5, but I had to just laugh at myself and realize that there is nothing I can really do but try and make the best of the situation.
Other than that instance most of my work had been either with my boss (and expat) or with the production manager who speaks English (still a struggle some times). It is so encouraging and exciting seeing the things that I do actually go into effect and get done, I truly am going to be spoiled when I go work in the US at my first job. I do feel like I am learning so much, on a professional level that is - so much preparation for the working world.
On another note, I have enjoyed learning more Chinese. My Chinese tutor has been very kind and has shown me around Xiamen. Tonight we went to a Chinese BBQ place with AMAZING food. Basically it has several waitresses walking around with bowls fulls of meat on skewers and they come around asking how many you want. I am discovering that eating out really can become a hobby here, so much more than the US because it is so CHEAP.
For those of you that don't know, Karaoke is pretty big here. I got invited to go by someone at my work and I think I might go some time soon so I will keep you updated it should be an adventure.
I have been partaking in events called English Corners. They are a time when local Chinese get together and practice English and are usually run by foreigners. They are a time for outreach and community building, and are a great way to meet local people. Once again I notice just how bad of an English speaker I am, oh well, I guess I am just giving them practice at understanding different dialects of English :) .
Well until next time, as the Chinese say.... buh bye

1 comment:

ash said...

The pics are beautiful!