Monday, June 2, 2008

Spa anyone?

So the family has gone, and I am left in Xiamen. Its taking on a whole different feeling being here by myself, one that will stretch me and show me a lot about myself and China. I suppose I must do a bit of back log. Before Laura and Andy left, we took a day trip out to a 5 star spa about an hour from the house we are staying at, and it was an adventure! Two busses a taxi and a chinese version of McDonalds later we made it to the spa. I must say that I was pretty impressed with our ability to get there seeing as how none of us speak Chinese and NOBODY here seems to speak english. The Spa (http://www.riyuegu.com/english/index.php) was amazing and only $20! We met some people from the states there too, it was pretty crazy how you could be half way around the world, and hour from a major city and meet people from your own back yard.
I have been trying to learn the bus schedule as fast a possible so I can be somewhat mobile. Its only 2 yuan to ride the bus witch is like 30 cents, however that makes for very packed buses!
I have been trying to wrap my head around the culture and how it is so drastically different than the US. My host Bill says its easily related to the worker bee mentality, everyone does what is best for the hive. It is true, the strong sense of individualism we see in the states is not here. However they do hold a strong sense of saving face, and that to shame someone is a great punishment. In that same vein, passing the buck becomes a common practice, if it causes you to lose face then the shame is usually passed to someone else.
I am trying to learn as much as I can while I am here, about life and about work. Work has been interesting, I really am finding out a lot about myself. Being that I am not doing much engineering type stuff, its been a learning experience for sure.
Well its time for work, as it is 8:20am here so I must end. I will try and update every other day or so from now on and take more pictures so I can post them.